April 8th, 2017
Contrary to popular belief you can still enjoy many of your favorite foods while wearing braces, the key as with most things is to enjoy in moderation. It is very important that orthodontic appliances are properly cared for during treatment. Broken brackets can cause unnecessary appointments and will lengthen treatment time, and well no body wants that.
So To help you avoid any unnecessary problems we have compiled a list of some of our favorite braces-friendly snacks and recipes.
To begin though here is a short list of items you should avoid indulging while wearing your braces:
Hard, sticky foods such as: Ice, & hard candies. (jolly ranchers)
Popcorn, nuts, taffy, caramel, pizza crust, and anything you feel could easily get tangled in your new smile gear. A helpful tip to avoid extra cleaning and problems is to cut foods into small, bite-sized pieces before attempting to eat.
Now for the good stuff that you can enjoy without worrying about damaging your braces. We will start with one of our personal favorites - Donuts - minus the nuts or sprinkles.
This next sweet treat is perfect for the holiday season. Mini-Reeses Peanut Buttercup Cups Easy to make and perfectly sized. Find the full recipe and instructions on here.
One of our favorite healthy braces-friendly snacks are Pizza Stone Zucchini Fries. These delicious fries combine healthy and easy to eat zucchini slices with seasoned bread crumbs and baked for a light crunch. Combine with your favorite marinara dipping sauce and you have a delicious and nutritious snack that will play nice with your smile gear. The full cooking instructions can be found here.
As weather continues to cool there is nothing better than enjoying a great big bowl of delicious soup. We found a version that takes the best part of a chicken pot pie and makes it braces friendly. This is an ideal meal for someone having a sore mouth kind of day. Soft, warm, and easy to eat. Full recipe here.
This delicious broccoli shells cheese is sure to be a crowd pleaser at any dinner table and best of all it places nice with your smile gear. Easy to prepare, budget easy, braces friendly and delicious, what more can you ask for. Check out the full recipe here.
When snack time calls these Orange Creamsicle Yogurt Bites are the perfect answer. With a can of your favorite yogurt and a box of jello you are on your way to a cool, delicious, and protein packed snack. These are perfect for those sore mouth moments. Find the full recipe here.
Some other foods yummy that are braces-friendly include:
- Smoothies also great for sore mouth days as the cold can help take edge off of the discomfort.
- Mash potatoes are classically good and easy to eat with no risk of damaging your braces.
- Bananas are a perfectly soft and easy snack to grab on the go.
- Fresh fish such as salmon or tilapia that has been baked is always a winning braces-friendly dish.
- Don’t forget to eat your veggies like sautéed squash, steamed greens, or thoroughly cooked carrots.
- Pancakes are also perfectly soft for sore mouth days. ( just go easy on the syrup)
- Most all pastas are braces-friendly just be sure to slice into bite-sized portions to avoid getting it stuck in your smile gear.
- Non-chunky salsa ( or hummus) and tortilla chips can be a great snack that would leave your braces a mess.
- Grits - warm, soft, delicious and easy to eat make them a perfect meal for sore mouth days.
- Any type of soft bread that does not have seeds, nuts, or pieces of whole grains. If you like whole-wheat bread, look for one that has a smooth texture. Tear off the crust if necessary.
There are so many delicious foods you can still enjoy when wearing braces, for even more tasty recipes take a look at our Pinterest board. The most important thing to ensure proper care of your braces is to always thoroughly clean after eating. Check out our great tips to help you keep your smile looking its best.