Adults Can Get Beautiful Smiles, Too
Orthodontic treatment isn't just for teens.
In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21.
Many adults are getting orthodontics because they want to look good and feel good.
Reasons Why Adults Want Treatment
- You have a bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Your teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- An abnormal jaw pain, or pressure caused by crooked teeth
- You want for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment Options for Adults
The thought of wearing metal braces may discourage you from getting orthodontic treatment.
Today's orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, subtle, and customized to meet your needs.
You can choose from:
Differences Between Orthodontics for Adults Vs. Children & Teens
The main difference to remember we treat you versus children or teens is that in younger patients the jawbones are still developing.
As an adult, your jawbones are finished growing.
If you get treatment as a child or teen there are more options, but you can still get treated as an adult.
Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve a healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Adults and children have different needs and require a different level of attention and care.
We'll work with you to make sure you receive the most appropriate treatments and that your needs are met with understanding and respect.
Benefits of Treatment
Straight Teeth Are Healthy Teeth
Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing and may help prevent other health problems.
A Beautiful, Straight Smile Can Give You Confidence
Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
Untreated Mouths Can Get Worse
Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it's needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics please contact our practice to schedule your first free consult.
We understand you have a busy schedule, and we'll work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.